Saturday, April 17, 2010

Petén Garden Update 2

It's been a while since I've talked about the garden. We have had a few snacks to whet our appetite, but no huge harvest to keep us eating for weeks. The worms came back to the zuchinis, but we have had a few to eat such as these: (I planted three varieties)Here are some sugar snap peas. These are the first ones which we ate raw. I have three plants and am freezing what I get from them (about three pods a little bigger than this every three days) until we have enough for a meal. I'm happy to get anything because they are supposed to a cool weather crop (of which we are not) although I got a variety that is withstands higher temps.
My first tomatoes will be ready any day now. They are Better Boy, so they get bigger than any variety I've seen here for sale and should be wonderful on a BLT. All six plants have at least one set of clusters, so I should get a nice steady progression starting next week.
Okra was made for Petén. Here's a plant that'll be ready tomorrow. Since it just started I am only getting two pods every other day, so I am blanching and then breading them before freezing so that when we want them we can drop them right in the oil from the freezer. I used Paula Dean's recipe for the breading so we'll see if Southern Shelley approves or not very soon.
And here are my first Jalapeños growing.

Of course I'm only showing you the highlights. I don't have pictures yet of my green beans, but they are Shelley's favorite thing we have growing. I am getting a handful every 4 days if there is not temp over 95 (causes all the flowers to fall off.) It is another thing being frozen. We have enough now for 1.5 meals.

I'm learning a lot and realizing that there are a lot of possibilities for our friends to grow. I show weekly pictures at the Bible Study to a very impressed group of old men who are asking for seeds. Once we get enough frozen, we plan to fix it and take as a snack so they'll be motivated to harvest on time and then eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment