Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Funny Things We've Been Told Lately

This has been an interesting week for learning about people's beliefs. First we ran into our lab technician at the grocery store, who had done all of Shelley's blood tests during the pregnancy, and still hadn't seen the boys. So he left his cart and ran out into the parking lot to find her. He has 2 yr. old, twin girls and shared some interesting facts about twins. Apparently they have special powers. For instance, if you get onto your twin while holding them, the clothes you are wearing will turn very itchy, so itchy in fact that you can never wear them again. Also, if one of your twins wants something and you don't give it to them, the clothes you are wearing will tear into pieces and fall apart. I'm not sure what it is about clothes, but so far our twins have only been covering ours with various bodily fluids.

Then I was talking with another good friend of ours and she remarked on the lady in the market who gave us the money. She said, "I can't believe she touched your babies with her dirty hands. Babies and children are so delicate that I don't touch them out of respect." Now, this is a very educated Chilean woman, so I assumed she was talking about germs. She went on, "Adults just have such a strong energy that I think they take away energy from children and make them sick when they touch them."

Now, two bits of wisdom from a 15 yr. old Kekchi friend of ours. First I was asking him about the worms in my Zucchinis and what remedy he thought I should use. He told me that I had worms because I pointed with my finger at the first flowers that were growing. He said that that always causes worms.

Then later we were eating with him at Pollo Campero. My wife watched him take a piece of chicken, wrap it up in a napkin, and place it in his shoe. When we asked about that, he said that if you eat a certain part of the chicken it will take away all of your courage and make you afraid of the dark. (Placing it in his shoe was because that's where he keeps his trash until he finds a trash can.)

3 comments:

  1. Ah, life in Guatemala. Have you been told to rub an egg over a fussy baby and then break it into a glass of water, yet? The number of strings that go to the surface indicate how many people have given him the evil eye . . . or the egg forms the shape of the person, supposedly. My MIL swore up and down that a woman in a dress with long, flowing hair cursed Dorian when he was a baby, because that's what the egg looked like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that twins have special powers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mateo shoving that chicken in his shoe was the highlight of my trip.

    ReplyDelete