Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Nobody Respects the Micro

I guess I brought it on myself. After driving here a while you start to prioritize other vehicles on the road. If there is a motorcycle in front of you and another one coming towards you, it's ok to drive in the center of them both to pass. They will instinctively know to get over. If there is a tuk tuk, bus, or micro, you can cut them off to get in front of them because they are going to be slower than you and stop soon anyways.

I knew I did this, but I guess I didn't think anybody else did. Seriously, it stinks being behind a micro because they will stop without warning to either drop somebody off or pick somebody up. This leads to you slamming on your brakes or having to whip around them quickly, for which you get in trouble with your passengers. Also, you feel a little bit secure cutting them off because they are "professional" drivers, and you assume that they have a degree of defensive driving ability.

Now I am the micro driver. Nobody looks to see that it is a Gringo driving. Nobody cares whether or not I will be stopping suddenly or often. All they see is a large Toyota that is not as important or in as much of a hurry as they are. This makes driving much more precarious, and it is something I definitely have to watch out for. And I thought driving was dangerous before...

1 comment: