Friday, December 3, 2010

Car Insurance in Guatemala

Because of the situation with José, I began again to look for car insurance here. I looked around when we first arrived, but the payments were more than a car payment on a new vehicle. I found that a reputable agency here (G&T) has recently lowered their rates to match their unreliable competition. For full coverage they still want $4,000/year to cover both vehicles (2004 Tacoma and 2007 Toyota Hiace Microbus), but their liability coverage seemed more than fair to me. They cover all expenses to others' property and persons, as well as any medical expenses of my passengers. They also pay families in instances of accidental death such as José's problem. Oh, and any and all lawyer fees.

The agent road a bus 45 minutes to my house so that he could take pictures of my vehicles and have me sign the paperwork. He also took this time to explain the policies to me. (Note: his name has been changed.)

Official policy:
In the event of an accident, I must immediately call the number for the main office in Guatemala City. They will verify my coverage and then send a report to the Petén office who will then send an agent to the scene of the accident.
Or:
I can call Carlos' personal cell phone anytime day or night and he will come since he already knows that I have coverage. This will save me at least an hour he says.

Official policy:
You must remain at the scene of the accident until the agent arrives.
Or:
There are some parts of Petén where it is too dangerous to stay and you must run for your life (such as the areas we are ALWAYS traveling to- Libertad/Sayaxché area). Carlos said to call him after I get away. He understands and can fill out the paperwork later.

Official policy:
Nobody under 21 is allowed to drive the vehicles to be covered and all drivers must have valid driver's licenses.
Or:
Don't say anything to the home office and Carlos can change who the driver was once he arrives.

Official policy:
G&T only pays if it is your fault. If you are not at fault, it is the other party's responsibility.
Or:
Don't say anything to the home office and Carlos will make sure everybody gets paid when he arrives.

Now obviously I'm not going to engage in insurance fraud of any kind, but I want to show you what life is like here in the "Wild West" of Central America. I am glad to know that I don't have to stay in a dangerous situation and that there is some common sense in that area.

1 comment:

  1. I have been meaning to tell you that we will not be able to make the trip to Mexico with you guys. Our G&T insurance (and I agree is the best in Guatemala)will not cover us in Mexico. If something were to happen I would be responsible. I do not want that responsibility with the new ride.
    David

    ReplyDelete