Friday, November 5, 2010

Gone Native?

Some experiences we've had lately that make me think maybe we've crossed a line...

My wife told me today, "I cleaned the bathroom so you'll have to pee outside until after our guests get here."

We had left the house and were already on the road. Shelley said to me, "Oh no. I forgot my jewelry, now they're going to think I'm poor." We were heading someplace fancy and they treat you differently depending on your appearance.

Text message to my wife, "Just had six tortillas and a chicken wing. It was yummy."

Our one year old boys cried for days when my parents, their white, english speaking grandparents came to visit. They did not want to be held by them. After they left we visited our land to check on construction where they happily went to the new mason we have working there and smiled the whole time. They think they're two chapines.

We visited a new friends' house that they are fixing up before moving in. My wife's first thoughts before thinking about things like a kitchen or an air conditioner or even bars on the windows was, "How are they going to keep out the rats?"

It got down in the 70's the other night so while I was out and about I stopped into a Paca store and bought a $3 Goodwill reject Nautica jacket which barely beat out a jacket with an eagle on it and embroidered with the name, "Gene."

3 comments:

  1. Ha! We had the same issue with the boys. Some gringo guys said hi to them one day when we were out and they both stopped and stared so long at them (one guy was blond) that the poor tourists were wondering what was going on. I told them my kids didn't usually see white people, but how weird is that?! Their PARENTS are white (well, in our case, one parent) and they don't seem to notice. :D

    You're definitely becoming chapin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please let Shelly know that so far we are rat free, haha.
    David

    ReplyDelete