Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Soap Box

So I mentioned it before, that one of my pet peeves is people talking about Missions as if it is a horrible thing that God is calling you to. Some even give the idea that if you are a missionary you will spend the rest of your sure-to-be-short life suffering and miserable. Then you add to this people who think that they are miserable, so they must be called to be a missionary and are just saying, "No." These two things culminate in miserable people being guilted into going to a foreign country only to turn the people they meet into miserable people for having known them.

I won't even get started on people who have the same thoughts about the Christian life...

God doesn't want us to be miserable. Yes, bad things are going to happen to us. Yes, life is relatively more dangerous living in a foreign country. Yes, Jesus promises that people will revile and persecute us for following Him. All of those things are true.

The same thing happened to Paul and Silas. And they were singing in the jail. James said to "count it all joy." Jesus said to "rejoice and be exceeding glad". Just because bad things happen doesn't mean you have to be sad and mopey.

I remember the youth group days when the sadder you were when singing, the more spiritual you were. Words like "broken" were the fad. Go ahead and be sad if you want to, but I'm not going to let it rub off on me.

I believe God wants us to get the most out of this life as possible. That's why He doesn't want us getting drunk. Life is much better when you can remember it. That's why He doesn't want us sleeping around. You can't beat a life long relationship built on trust and with the absence of fear.

In my personal example. Being a missionary is SO much more exciting than any other "job" I could have. I feel that I have a huge advantage over those of you sitting in the States working 8-5, M-F. Did you know that my "job" requires that I have a 4WD truck and actually use it in precarious situations where it is the only suitable form of transportation? I love languages. Did you know that I get to learn several (not just one extra) and will have to use them in a competent manner to relay the most important message? I like teaching. I get to teach a large group of pastors for some of whom I am the only resource.

I have a friend that likes to fly airplanes. We can use that here. I know people that love helping hurting people. We can use that here. Are you passionate about farming? I have more than a few things to pick your brain about. Do you like working with kids? or teenagers? We have those here. The best part is that there aren't 20 other groups EXACTLY like yours competing for the same people. You're the only one. If that doesn't translate into a fulfilling and satisfying life, I don't know what would. Here in Petén you can go places where you are the only person who knows ANYTHING about Jesus. Many places. If you really believe in heaven for those that trust in Jesus and hell for those who don't, how could you reject the call?

For those of you who have been reading, you know things aren't easy here. I would never want to give anybody the idea that everything here is "pie in the sky." You should never attempt this unless you are absolutely sure that God wants you here. But way too many people are so concerned about the hurdles that they never leave the starting line.

3 comments:

  1. I especially like that last line...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such an encouragement to me! I can't wait to get on the mission field, despite the hard times that will come up! God will be there throught it all! Thanks for your constant testimony ~ Becca

    ReplyDelete