Sunday, May 16, 2010

Animals of Tikal


We always see certain animals in Tikal, but this latest time took the cake. The best part was that I had my new telephoto lens and have been looking forward to Tikal ever since I got it. Here's some snapshots. The only animal we saw that I didn't get a picture of was the grey fox.
This is apparently Montezuma's Oriole (not to be confused with his famous "Revenge") and they have large bag nests all over Tikal. They look like regular black birds until they start flying and then you can see their really bright tail feathers.
Here's one flying in front of Temple I.
The pisote (coati mundi) is my favorite Petén animal. Maybe because we had a wild one living in our backyard in the first house we had here, or maybe because they are just so cute. There were so many of them this time that I accused a worker of having bought and imported Pisotes so that tourists would have something to look at, and my accusation was neither confirmed nor denied.

We have never been to Tikal and not seen spider monkeys.
However this was the first time we've seen them in the same trees with pisotes.
My Keens finally fell apart as we were leaving. I guess 12 time to Tikal is all they can take. The first 4 times through I hired a guide for our groups, but then I realized that each one told different stories. I then decided to pick my favorite ones and lead the groups myself. When it comes to tour guides, as in life, the more they talk the less they know.

4 comments:

  1. Very cool...I blew them up and the detail is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the photos and I did see a grey fox at sunset last time I spent a night on the property

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Wow what great pictures you have. I have made a note to self to not underestimate the power of quality pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete