Friday, October 8, 2010

How to Destroy a Good Work

Some Kekchi friends of ours came over to the house today. We had a lot to talk about, but eventually the subject of the Kekchi Baptist Association of Petén came up. I don't have all the information in order to give you a decent description, but this is basically a group of churches in Petén that broke off of the larger Southern Baptist Kekchi group in Cobán. It makes sense because there were a large number of churches and they are pretty far from Cobán. Plus, Petén is basically it's own country separate from the rest of Guatemala in many ways.

So because there is some unrest in the association that the pastors are trying to work through, one of our friends today asked about the possibility of me starting a separate Association. I told him of course that that is ridiculous. I know it is human nature to start something competing as soon as you meet resistance, but that would be one of the worst things to happen. First of all, at least now the Kekchi Baptists have a unified front. They support missionaries (although part of the discussion is how they do that). They have a central place for training and when somebody needs support, they have a large network from which to draw that support.

So why would you ever want to break that up? Of course it appears to the ego that I would be leading my own association of X number of churches and I could be big and bad and the boss. But what would I accomplish long-term? I would be creating a division among like-minded churches. It would cripple the other association at least in the short-term from accomplishing it's goals. It would immediately alienate me from over half of the existing churches from whom I hope to pull students for ministry at our Pastor's Institute. And last but not least it would immediately provide fodder for sermon's aimed at why we are better or they are lesser Christians because of our/their affiliation.

I've been asked a lot about what I would deem success as a missionary. Let me tell you what I would call failure. I will pack it up and leave Petén the day I cause there to be a second Baptist church started in any village in Petén. There's just too many other important things to do.

5 comments:

  1. Those are some very wise words you have printed. That is exactly what Satan wants is a group divided. I have been associated and supported the Kekchi brothers for many years...thru prayer walking in their regions and just this summer thru a medical mission trip. My first trip was in l985 to Las Casas to help build the Pastor Study Center/Church. I am excited about David and Regina joining you in GOD'S work in the Peten area. Praying for the Kekchi work there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Economist has an interesting piece on "tensions inside one of America's most successful churches",this week, it deals with problems related to Calvin within the Southern Baptist church. Might be something your interested in reading. Oct.9 issue, US section. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks norm,
    I just read it (here's a link for those who read this section- http://www.economist.com/node/17204934?story_id=17204934&CFID=145530966&CFTOKEN=46451041) .
    In Bible College I remember clearly how popular it was to come up with or ascribe to something nobody else around you believed in. Many young pastors like to "fix" their dad's religion. While I've never been Southern Baptist I know some about their history and the article even talks about the problems they had in the 80s. Now it's going the other way, but it's not based upon anything that really matters. Of course somebody could get my blood boiling in an argument about Calvinism and I have very strong opinions and beliefs about what the Bible says. The tendency I have seen is that people are more interested in being right than they are in working together to accomplish a common goal. Maybe people can afford to do that in the States where there are so many choices you can find a church that caters to your individual preferences (although the article seems to state the opposite), but here we can't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where would we be if Luther had not been such an unhappy camper? I understand your point about not wanting your church to split. As always, good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete