Tuesday, June 8, 2010

So I Wanted to Buy Some Gravel

I have been running around for the last week buying materials for our wall. Construction started Monday. Last week I bought 2500 blocks, 32 cubic meters of sand, 1000 pounds of 3/8 in rebar, 200 pounds of 1/4 in. rebar, 2 shovels, one wheelbarrow, and one pickax.

I still need boards for scaffolding and forms, gravel, rocks, and bags of cement. The cement I can order as I need it so that I don't have to worry about moisture. There are several gravel pits around San Francisco, but you can pay as much for delivery as the actual gravel. On the way to Santa Rita basically across the street from our land there is a large quarry. I've asked about it before, but everybody told me that it was a private business and that they didn't sell their gravel. Just recently they put up a sign though that said "gravel for sale."

Saturday I decided to try and go by to see if they could bring me a dump truck full. While delivering more per load, it also keeps me from paying my workers to spend half a day unloading a truck of gravel when they could be digging a trench. When I got there with Lico, my mason, I found out they were closed, but I talked to the guard anyway. Here's our conversation:

Jimmy: Hey, is the boss around?

Guard: No, he's gone and won't be back until Monday.

J: Ok, I'll come back Monday then.

G: What do you need?

J: To buy some gravel.

G:Well we don't do that anymore. We're all out of gravel and we don't have enough for our own business. You have to go to San Benito (only 15 minutes away, but a lot more money to have them deliver.)

J: Ok, I just thought since the sign was new, you'd have gravel. Suddenly notices a price sheet nailed to the wall. Is it ok if I check out the price sheet so that I know what's fair to pay in San Benito?

G: Sure, how much do you need?

J: About 30 cubic meters.

G:Wow, that's a lot. We don't have that much.

J:Ok

G: Wait a second, let me call the boss over here to talk to you. Walks 10 feet up a little hill, whistles and waves his arm. Makes a grunting noise and walks off behind a mountain of gravel. After 10 minutes he comes back.

G: Fijese, you have to go to San Benito.

J: Ok.

G: We can only sell small amounts.

Lico: How much can you sell if we need just a little at a time.

G: 3 meters or more.

L: 3 or less?

G: 3 or more.

J: So, at least 3, but up to how much?

G: Oh, bunches. See that big mountain back there covered up with tarp? That's all gravel.

J: So could I have 30 meters?

G: Oh no, you have to go to San Benito. That's too much.

J: So could I order 3 meters?

G: No, we don't have enough.

J: Ok, I'm going to San Benito.

What made me feel better was that Lico thought the conversation was just as crazy as I did. If he had thought it made sense I would have been a little worried.

3 comments:

  1. Jimmy don't let them drive you to crazy! I've found that the easiest way to buy sand and gravel is to find a dump truck operator that you can trust. Let him know that you'll be a regular customer, the quality that you expect, and let him deal with the quarry. Also I don't reccomend that quarry in San Pancho. They cheat you by mixing to much fine stuff with the rock and not only fine rock and dust but you often get mud with it. I refuse to buy from that quarry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finding this conversation very funny!

    ReplyDelete